Being a good District Judge is about a lot more than just knowing the laws you're applying. It has to do with truly understanding the community and people of the court you represent. That's what makes Tom Murt stand apart as the best choice.
Make no mistake: Tom is more than prepared on the law. He is Certified by the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court to serve our families on day one - having taken and passed the rigorous training and examination required of all District Judges. But it is his vast experiences beyond that which make him right for our families.
Tom is a former state legislator who has a a proven record of fighting injustice and standing up for all of us - including leading the fight to protect the water quality of our communities. As a legislator, Tom was also known for his independence and refusal to play politics, and has actually written some of the very laws he will be called upon to apply as District Judge.
Tom is a also a teacher. A recognized and awarded champion for seniors and the disabled. A longtime youth sports coach here in our community. A United States Army veteran who served in Iraq. And a former Upper Moreland Township Commissioner.
This broad range of experiences - professional, personal and community - have given Tom a deep and unique understanding of the concerns of the very residents whose cases he will be hearing as District Judge...ours! That understanding is something he will be able to use to ensure fair and equal justice for all.
Tom mixes with that understanding the proven common sense to not only apply the law, but apply it in a way that recognizes the unique circumstances of every case and situation - something that a Judge in our "People's Court" truly needs.
Perhaps most important, Tom will bring to the bench the perspective of husband and father. He and his wife Maria have been married for 34 years and are the proud parents of three adult children: Katherine, Daniel, and Patrick.
- Ed.D., Doctor of Education, Educational Administration, Temple University
- M.A. Education, LaSalle University
- B.S. Economics, Penn State
- Magisterial District Judge Certification, PA Supreme Court Minor Judiciary Education Board
- PA State Representative, 152nd District, 2006-2020
- Upper Moreland Township Commissioner, 1992-2003
- School District of Upper Moreland Township School Director, 1989-1993
- Founder & Advisor, Upper Moreland Historical Association, 1996-present
- Volunteer Youth Sports Coach: Upper Moreland Soccer Club, Upper Moreland Little League, Upper Moreland Hoops Basketball Program, St. David's CYO, St. John Bosco CYO
- Board of Trustees member, Upper Moreland Free Public Library, 1994-1996
- Merit Badge Counselor, Scouts of America
- Supervision of youths sentenced to community service
- Operation of a food cupboard and donation of nonperishable food items to local food cupboards
- Book collection project to support community and neighborhood libraries in N. Phi la.
- Annual Santa Claus Home Visitations to children with special needs
- Collection of winter coats for homeless veterans in Philadelphia
- Serving meals at St. John's Hospice
- Collecting and donating of in-kind items to victims of domestic violence
- Collection and contribution of personal care items, winter coats, and cold-weather gear to Veterans Multi-Service Center in Philadelphia
- U.S. Army Reserve, 1991-2009. Retired, Honorably Discharged
Twice Nominated as 79th Division, "Noncommissioned Officer of the Year"
- Served in Iraq in 2003-2004, Operation: Iraqi Freedom
Assigned to 4th Infantry Division, Tikrit, Iraq
- Nominated for Humanitarian Service and Army Commendation Medals
for outstanding service during Operation: Iraqi Freedom and Operation: Enduring Freedom
- Update of Pennsylvania's Child Labor Law
- Criminalization of Revenge Pornography
- Higher Education Assistance for Veterans
- Implementation of Assisted Outpatient Treatment for mental illness
- Expansion of Gun Violence Task Force
- Re-naming Department of Public Welfare as Human Services
- Welfare Reform
- Expanded dental care for special needs patients
- Veterans Bill of Rights
- Tax on Extraction of Natural Gas
- Criminalization of Female Genital Mutilation
- Tax Credits for families who care for an adult with intellectual disabilities
- Enhanced care options for families struggling with mental illness
- Enhanced standards for local water quality
- Disability Bill of Rights
- Therapy Dogs for Veterans
- PA Safe Schools Act/ Bullying Abatement
- Dating Violence Prevention
- Increased Penalties for sexual assault
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention Act Updates
- Citizen's Public Service Award from the Community of Montgomery County
- Humanitarian of the Year Award from Eastern Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
- Equal Opportunity Representative of the Year, U.S. Army
- Distinguished Graduate Award, National Catholic Education Association
- Rose R. Rosa Advocacy Award, ARC
- Brighter Future Award from the Philadelphia Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual Disability Services (DBH/IDS)
- Government Partners Award, Special People in the Northeast (SPIN)
- Vision for Equality Award, for work with adults with special needs
- Friend of Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAGAFTRA) from the Philly SAG-AFTRA One Union, for work protecting child performers
- Support in Disability Policy Award from the Institute on Disabilities of Temple University
- Acquired Brain Injury Network Award, support of Pennsylvanians with traumatic brain injury
- Travis Manion Award
- Legislator of the Year, ARC of Philadelphia, for service to Pennsylvanians with disabilities
- Legislative Award, Drug and Alcohol Service Providers Association of Pennsylvania
- Presidential Award from Montgomery County Community College
- Legislative Award, PA Tourette Syndrome Alliance
- Community Champion Award, for service to Pennsylvanians with intellectual disabilities and Autism, Ken Crest Services
- Taws Award, Scouts of America
- Award for Meritorious and Distinguished Service in furthering the aims and ideals of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
Copyright © 2023 | All Rights Reserved | Paid for by Murt for DJ